Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

They're playing my tune

One of my Facebook friends recently linked to a site which will tell you the unlikely national "holiday" (somewhere in the world) on which your birthday falls. Mine (3rd August) is National Watermelon Day, celebrated in the USA. And while I didn't need this piece to tell me that people make racist remarks about blacks and watermelons, it did tell me that they're yet another thing for which we in Europe are indebted to the Arabs (along with oranges, algebra, most of our astronomy and all of our knowledge of ancient Greek texts).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home