Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Rainy Days and Mondex

For some reason I was thinking this week about electronic payments: debut cards and the like. I was recalling a trial we did in the Bank of Scotland of an "electronic purse", where you loaded cash value onto your card which then required no authorisation or further computer connection. You just put it into the reader (in a vending machine or whatever), keyed the PIN to unlock the card, and paid. As long as there was enough value loaded onto the card (you did that at an ATM) it worked just like cash. I was trying to remember the name of the scheme, and a little Googling reminded me that it was Mondex. And then I found this site, which you'll enjoy if you have any interest in payment systems. Sadly Mondex never really took off: I thought it was rather a neat idea.

What do you mean you don't find electronic payments fascinating?