Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, August 17, 2013

You can't go through, the road is under construction

I'm currently reading 33 Revolutions Per Minute by Dorian Lynskey, It's a history of the protest song, and when I was reading the chapter on Dylan, it mentioned Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. Apprently it proved unpopular with both the left (who felt it was a waterd-down, sanitised kind of "protest pop", and with the right who felt that it was wrong to criticise American society like that as it might give aid and comfort to the enemy (no, seriously). Anyway, here it is: make up your own mind.



What I hadn't known was that one conservative singing group came up with a reply song entitled Dawn of Correction:



Personally, whenever I think of the PF Sloan song what immediately comes to mind is a snatch of the Mad Magazine parody of it (part of a series of protest songs they did, I think). I remember the accompanying cartoon was of a queue of cars waiting at a stop sign where there were road works ahead, and the lyric "And they tell you, over and over and over again my friend / You can't go through, the road is under construction." I kept humming that one every time we were stopped at roadworks in the U.S. The best of Mad's parodies were like that: catchy, memporable, and spot on. I used to love Mad, though I haven't seen it for years and suspect it's hard to get now in the UK at least. (Apparently there was a British edition which stopped in 1994.)

Of course, the other song for which Barry McGuire is famous is from his days with the New Christy Minstrels. And up until thiry seconds ago I had no idea it was written by Burt Bacharach. LOL.

2 Comments:

At 17 August, 2013 20:57, Blogger Persephone said...

Mad Magazine is still on the newstands and in the drug stores of North America, and there was a late-night television series not so long ago. Still pretty sophomoric and not for the squeamish these days.

 
At 17 August, 2013 21:58, Blogger Rob said...

Oh, it was always fairly sophomoric, which was much of its charm to British teenagers. After all, sophisticated political satire would have gone mostly over our heads. But yes, I had heard that it was ruder these days. Sign of the times, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home