Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, August 16, 2013

Back to school

Back to college this week clutching my timetable showing fifteen hours of class contact (equivalent to about two-thirds of a full-time job) but little else by way of detail other than that all the classes are basic introductions to the internet. College is still rather chaotic as there's a lot of building work going on (supposedly finishing next week). The Computing team is currently without a head of department as they're still trying to recruit one: we're likely to get an interim one from within the team (probably good news for me as that will mean more hours of coursework needing to be taught to make up for their management time, so I may pick up some more teaching). The person who drafted up the timetable has now taken voluntary severance, so it was always going to be interesting tryoing to get certainty about anything.

Amazingly, I almost know what I'm doing now. My timetable is all sorted out as far as it goes: I know who I'm teaching, I have classrooms which may be big enough to teach them in - the only fly in the ointment is that my hours have dropped to twelve. So I'm looking to pick up some more classes, maybe in basic ("Core Skills") maths or English, or in IT if anything does turn up. I have the same desk I had before, though some of my former office-mates have shifted to another room. I am getting the training organised for the teaching qualification I need to get in order to carry on lecturing after this year (there seems to be some distance learning modules and some observation of my classes). And At present I still have only one course to prepare to teach, and I taught it last term.

The upside of having a reduced timetable is that I could skip the Staff Development (read: motivational speakers and managementspeak) day yesterday with a clear conscience as I'd already worked my hours for this week. Win.

2 Comments:

At 20 August, 2013 15:20, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Are you applying for head of department? Might increase your hours.

 
At 03 September, 2013 22:18, Blogger Rob said...

Nah. Don't have the experience and wouldn't want the admin hassle. Hilary went for the corresponding role in her department and got it, but (a) she was totally qualified (b) she'd been acting head for ages anyway and (c) she could see all kinds of good things she could do in the job. None of which apply to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home