Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Unlikely though it is for me to be siding against women who want to take off their clothes, Laila Alawa is right

An American Muslim woman responds to the recent FEMEN topless protests.

I am a proud Muslim-American woman, and I am tired. I am tired of being told that I am oppressed. That I have no voice. That I need to be liberated.

I am tired, and I am speaking out for the rights of my and other fellow Muslim sisters to be able to dress and be how they wish to be.

3 Comments:

At 11 April, 2013 13:35, Anonymous Phil said...

Agreed. Jonathan Jones's column on Femen in the Graun had a picture captioned "Does this picture look to you like a foolish and ignorant attempt to intervene in Islam’s private concerns? Please explain why." Amazingly, the question wasn't meant ironically.

 
At 11 April, 2013 13:37, Anonymous Phil said...

Just remembered this from Neil Hannon, back in 1999 -

"Generation Sex respects
The rights of girls
Who want to take their clothes off
As long as we can all watch..."

 
At 12 April, 2013 08:45, Blogger Rob said...

I like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home