Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, March 15, 2013

De mortuis nil nisi debunkum

I wouldn't care to comment on whether this guy's medical credentials are genuine or came free with breakfast cereal, but he - and his chief fan Betty Martini D.Hum (Doctor of Humbug?) - have been responsible for one of the longest-running internet hoaxes ever (begun 1995 and still going strong - I was sent it today on Facebook). So I suppose even if his medical work was worthless he has achieved a kind of immortality.

At least unlike his fellow hoaxers who have devoted their lives to persuading people not to have their children vaccinated with the MMR triple vaccin (against Measles, Mumps and Rubella) Roberts has not been directly responsible for thousands of dead or disabled children. He was just a harmless attention-seeker.

For more health hoaxes, see here. I'm sorry to discover that the breast ogling one is a hoax: I was looking forward to increasing my lifespan that way. Guess it's back to the broccoli.

2 Comments:

At 15 March, 2013 15:47, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

And I was about to volunteer for the ogling tests. Oh well, guess I'll just continue the effort on my own.

 
At 20 March, 2013 02:51, Blogger Rob said...

Not so much an apple a day keeping the doctor away as a good supply of pairs, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home