Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

And tonight, when I at last God behold my salute will sweep his blue threshold with something spotless, a diamond in the ash... which I take in spite of you and that's... My panache.

Today is the birthday of the real, historical Cyrano de Bergerac (394 years ago). That's the poet with the big nose, the quick temper and the enviable facility with a sword, about whom Edmond Rostand wrote a famous play which was turned into an even more famous film (my all-time favourite). Here's the scene where a foppish but rather nasty piece of work has delibertaly provoked him into a duel, and he announces that he will improvise a poem, in rhyme, as he fights.



If you want to see how that scene ends (though you've probably guessed) I can only find it with French subtitles here

2 Comments:

At 07 March, 2013 15:02, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I've never seen the French version, Gerard seems magnifique!

 
At 08 March, 2013 01:52, Blogger Rob said...

The version that played in the cinemas over here was in French with English subtitles. Actually they used the verse translation by Anthony Burgess (author of A Clockwork Orange) for the subtitles, which was cool as it meant they rhymed just like the original French. But yes, definitely Gerard's finest hour (or two). I didn't blub at Les Mis but I don't normally make it through this un-Kleenexed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home