Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, March 08, 2013

A real Jewish New York Woman, and unlike Bonni Benstock-Intall this one has an education and isn't a Holocaust denier

There is a radio programme (Get It On With Bryan Burnett) on BBC Radio Scotland that my wife and I often listen to, where the DJ selects a theme each night and listeners suggest songs that fit with it. Tonight, it being International Women's Day, the them is Women Who Have Inspired You. So naturally I have suggested Janis Ian. I see she's just won her second Grammy for the audiobook version of her autobiography Society's Child. It was one of the first books I got for my new Kindle and I'm really looking forward to reading it, but so far I've only dipped into it.

Janis's first Grammy, of course, was for At Seventeen, surely the finest song ever written about how it feels to be teenaged, self-conscious, friendless and insecure.



Janis came to prominence at the age of only thirteen when she recorded Society's Child (Baby I've Been Thinking), whose story of an inter-racial relationship was enough in 1964 to get her death threats (and to have a radio station in Atlanta which played it burned down). Here she is singing it on TV at the age of sixteen.



Here is her chilling Tattoo about the Holocaust. (Janis Ian is Jewish.)



This must be one of the best songs ever written about the death of a relationship.



And just to prove that the lass isn't all doom and gloom, here she is singing her own My Tennessee Hills with Dolly Parton

1 Comments:

At 08 March, 2013 15:26, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Thank you - a nice grouping of her music. Haven't heard it in a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home