Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, February 17, 2013

30 Day Song Challenge - The Sequel: Day 23

Day 23 - a song that makes you think of family

I spent my teenage years (and a few before them) being taken to concerts by my big brother Martin (who I'm sure viewed me as a kind of Eliza Doolitle to his Henry Higgins when it came to jazz, blues, folk and the weirder fringes of rock). As a result, I saw all kinds of artists most kids of my age had scarcely heard of. So I could post something here by Dave Brubeck, or Stan Getz; or by the Incredible String Band, or Doc Watson; or by Ravi Shankar, or Simon and Garfunkel; or the Beach Boys, or the Mothers of Invention. I could post this which was the 86-year-old Artur Rubinstein's ninth (!) encore after a long recital of Schubert, Chopin and Schumann. I could certainly post anything from Dylan's concert at the Manchester Free Trade Hall on 17 May 1966, which became one of the most famous concerts of the century because of the famous "Judas" heckler (not me, honest, I was only ten!) (Though the pieces that made the biggest impression were "Visions of Johanna" and "Just Like A Woman" which I was hearing for the first time.)

But I'm going to choose the time he hauled me away early from a local Christmas fair so we could get the train through to Liverpool and see Delaney and Bonnie: line-up as per the video, including both Eric Clapton (on a Les Paul) and George Harrison trying to blend into the scenery.


Martin died three years ago next Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home