Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, February 03, 2013

30 Day Song Challenge - The Sequel: Day 09

Day 09 - a song you love from the 70s

I guess all my friends (and plenty of innocent bystanders in the summer when I opened my window) would have heard me playing this when I was a student back in the 70s. I still love the album, and this track in particular.



"...and it was useless any more" is a very interesting construction ("useless" is synonymous with "no use" but here the "no" was doing duty for the "not" in "not....any more"). Is there a fancy name for that? It's not a million miles from the bizarre chains in Flanders & Swann's "Madeira M'Dear" ("..she made no reply, up her mind, and a dash for the door"). Those are called zeugma: but is there a name for the encapsulation Zappa does? Seems like the sort of thing P G Wodehouse mught have employed for comic effect somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home