Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, January 04, 2013

This Sporting Life

Here is a great video of the Kirkwall Ba' Game to which I referred in my last post. Music by Three Piece Sweet, an Orcadian band one of whose CDs I picked up on one of my many trips to Orkney.



On the topic of Scots and traditional sports, here are Runrig with the only song I know about shinty (Gaelic hockey), which is very big in the Highlands and vanishingly obcure pretty much everywhere else in Scotland. (Not sure whether the Canucks go for it nowadays as a summer alternative to ice hockey? The Youtube comments suggest that ice hockey was a direct descendant of shinty.)

1 Comments:

At 04 January, 2013 20:01, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

So that was a rugby game not a street riot? Interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home