Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This post has been flagged as spam

I had a few classes this week where I was teaching basic data security: backup, passwords, viruses, adware etc. Inevitably we covered spam emails (and spam blog comments, come to that) and I asked each class whether they knew why these were caled "spam". Someone in ech class knew about Spam the meat product (from Hormel Foods) but none of them could explain how the name of a none-too-appetizing processed meat product came to be attached to unwanted bulk emails.

So I showed them the missing link, so to speak. Here it is.

1 Comments:

At 31 January, 2013 20:59, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I really Spam those guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home