Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

And Lady Mondegreen

Here's a Willie Nelson song I know from the Joan Baez version which my brother had on LP.



I always liked the lyrics, with the very Zen idea of living in the eternal now. But digging out this clip I find that my favourite line was actually a mishearing. Willie Nelson wrote (and Joan Baez sang - I checked) "Yesterday's dead, and tomorrow is blind" but what I heard was "Yesterday's deaf, and tomorrow is blind". Which I modestly suggest may actually be an improvement, not just because of the deaf/blind thing but for the image of people trying to call back an unresponsive yesterday. i can't take any creative credit for that: I genuinely thought it was what Willie Nelson wrote. So maybe in a sense he did.

Anyway: great song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home