Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Of coffee and commuters

I was in Starbucks yesterday, buying my usual grande skinny latte, when it occurred to me that what I was about to drink precisely fulfilled Tony Hancock's specification in The Rebel, when he goes into one of the new-fangled espresso bars and asks for a white coffee. Offered a cappucino he says OK, but he wants one with no froth. "A cappucino with no froth?" says the waitress, "But we've just spent hundreds of quid on froth-making equipment." Anyway, as I drank my cappucino-without-froth, I thought of the film's wonderful opening sequence, filmed at the now-closed Bingham Road Halt. When I first moved to London I was amazed that the trains arrived (almost always) punctually to within the minute. my previous experience of trains (around Manchester, or in Yorkshire or North-East England) had done nothing to prepare me for timetables which were actually followed. Anyway, that rendered the Hancock gag comprehensible, and I often thought of it when I was alone on a platform opposite a crowd going the other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home