Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, October 07, 2012

"A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people" (Definition of "Oats" in in Samuel Johnson's "Dictionary of the English Language")

Let's hear it for porridge!

Being a lazy type I generally make mine using rolled oats rather than oatmeal, but I've loved the stuff since I was a kid. Since growing up I've stopped sweetening it (it wasn't because I moved to Scotland - I stopped some years earlier) but sometimes I mix fruit into it (a banana, a pear , a nectarine, or some apricots). I've never tried the savoury variants referred to in the report though (curry powder? seafood? sausages?) Could be interesting: maybe there's a place for the Scottish cooked breakfast ingredients of black pudding or haggis in the porridge bowl. (After all, haggis already contains oatmeal.) If I try it I'll report back.

(UPDATE: I tried it, and you know, porridge (made with just rolled oats, salt and water) with black pudding crumbled into it and some ketchup added tastes pretty damned good. I shall be having it again.)

I suppose there is a precedent for the Porridge-Plus breakfast. The St Kildans (inhabitants of a remote island off the West of Scotland who subsisted mainly on seabirds) used to eat porridge with a puffin cooked in it.

This article lists several variant ways of making it, and the comments list many more.

And this Wednesday, like every 10th October, will be World Porridge Day. Yay!

5 Comments:

At 24 March, 2013 11:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you published made a bunch of sense.
However, what about this? what if you added a little
content? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added a title that grabbed a person's attention?
I mean ""A grain, which in England is generally given
to horses, but in Scotland supports the people" (Definition of "Oats" in in Samuel Johnson's "Dictionary of the English Language")" is a
little vanilla. You might glance at Yahoo's front page and see how they create post titles to get viewers to open the links. You might add a related video or a related pic or two to grab readers excited about everything've written.
In my opinion, it might make your blog a little livelier.


Have a look at my homepage ... How to Build Interior Upper body?

 
At 25 March, 2013 09:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more
from this web page, and your views are fastidious for new users.


Also visit my webpage ... So how exactly does working out affect your muscles ?

 
At 25 March, 2013 10:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up friends, nice paragraph and fastidious urging commented here, I am really enjoying by these.

my page - chestfatburner.com

 
At 25 March, 2013 23:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
pretty penny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My web site; Is gynecomastiatherapy permanent?

 
At 26 March, 2013 01:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement
account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
However, how could we communicate?

Feel free to surf to my webpage :: How can muscle builders get man boobs ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home