Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Thursday, September 06, 2012

The Daleks consider hatred to be an art form. I know Americans who are like that.

Just watched the first episode (Asylum of the Daleks) of the new series of Dr Who. I have to say I enjoyed it even more than I expected to. Knowing (from Steven Moffat teasers) that the Oswin character (who was tremendously likeable, though suffering from a slight drawback it would be a spoiler to mention) will reappear at Christmas time as the next companion of the Doctor just added to the fun. Imagine a companion as smart as the Doctor!

Maybe I should have seen the "Doctor Who?" gag coming (it's been used before, after all) but I did spot the cause of it some way off. Perhaps because of the Doctor's insistent questions about milk, though, I didn't see the second appearance of the "eggs" gag coming (the first - with Rory - was pretty obvious though).

Best line? Out of many, I'd say "We can't abandon you!" "You're the ones beaming up to a Dalek ship to be exterminated." "Fair enough."

I'm looking forward to this series though. Having begun to feel that the whole Rory/Amy/River Song/Doctor multiple timelines thing was getting too complex for its own good (or as my brother once accurately described the development of Peter O'Donnell's Modesty Blaise series, "becoming more involved and less ingenious") I feel a spot of air-clearing coming on (knowing as we do that Rory and Amy are being written out in a few episodes' time). As the Doctor says when asked by the assembled Parliament of the Daleks "Save us!", "Well, this is new!"

2 Comments:

At 06 September, 2012 14:38, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

What episode was Oswin in? The name is familiar but I can't place it.
Looks like we are seeing the Doctor on the same schedule you are, instead of being a month behind.

 
At 07 September, 2012 22:25, Blogger Rob said...

Joe - I deleted your comment as I'm trying not to give away plot reveals for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But that was the drawback I was referring to, yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home