Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, August 27, 2012

Flowers? Powers?

I've just been watching a TV documentary about "Easy Listening" music, beginning with Percy Faith, Ray Conniff and Bert Kampfaert and moving on through James Last, Herb Alpert, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Carpenters and Richard Clayderman up to The Lighthouse Family. There were contributions from Mike Flowers, and I must confess I'd never heard of him. From his outfits and general style it was clear his was a kind of Austin Powers-ish ironic view of easy listening, and I Googled him afterwards. Colour me mostly not especially impressed (the joke wears thin pretty quickly), but I must say I was very taken with his Velvet Underground Medley. How can anyone not love an easy listening version of All Tomorrow's Parties?



So I shall carry on listening to the inscrutable Mr F, and no doubt every now and then I shall find a speck of gold among the dross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home