Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Catchup! 2011 gigs

THE FOX FORCE FIVE JOKE

"Three tomatoes are walking down the street - a Poppa tomato, a Momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, catch up!" - Mia Wallace [Uma Thurman] in Pulp Fiction

Today I started to go to things in this year's Edinburgh Festivals. Today it was the Book Festival's turn, as it will be again tomorrow, with the Official Festival making its appearance on Wednesday.

So it becomes rather urgent that I clear out the collection of notes for reviews of events in and around last year's festivals which are still cluttering my iPhone. My EKN reviews of the 2011 festivals petered out after the Yogyakarta State Gamelan, and my general reviews wound up with Dolly Parton (appeared without support, fnarr, fnarr) at the SECC in Glasgow. Still, it would be a waste for me to have made all those notes and not used them: so this will be the first in a series of "Catchup!" posts of reviews from roughly a year ago before I start in on my 2012 reviewing.

I'm going to kick off with reviews of a couple of non-festival gigs. First we have Gomez, who appeared at the HMV Picture House in Edinburgh in August 2011.

Gomez - supported by Woodenbox with a Fistful of Fivers (liked them: 2 gtrs/bs/dr/2tp/sax - evidently they've added another tpt since this description).

Gomez came on after playing a recording of an odd but interesting cover (by a female singer I haven't been able to identify) of Whippin' Piccadilly which kept slipping into the instrumental bits of Why Worry by Dire Straits!

Make No Sound
Ruff Stuff
Here Comes The Breeze
Hangover
Get Myself Arrested
In Our Gun
Airstream Driver
How We Operate
Whippin Piccadilly
Get Miles
... and others!

I remember being surprised how much rowdier the audience was than the previous time I'd seen Gomez. Maybe it was just the different venue, but the whole place shook with bouncing people when they got to Whippin Piccadilly. Not to mention the flying beer....

Then we have my (brief) notes from Bryan Adams at the Glasgow SECC some time in November:

Spastic lasers
Blinding spotlights
Keith Scott - a good guitarist who thinks he's a great guitarist
Carol from Cumbria doing the duet on "Baby When You're Gone"
He did "There Will Never Be Another Tonight"!
Milking the G.P.s
Sea of waving arms like a gigantic pot noodle

A G.P. is a "General Pause" - a place in the music where it all goes quiet - and BA was stretching them out for maximum audience-teasing effect. The description of the waving arms is spot-on, and conjures up the picture instantly. And I've been very fond of "There Will Never Be Another Tonight" ever since I watched first heard it as part of this:


One of those Olympic moments I never tire of watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home