Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Needle of Death

I posted recently about my opposition to the death penalty. I oppose it in principle, but can understand that there are folk who disagree with that stand. Nevertheless, there are sound practical reasons for opposing the DP, of which the most obvious is the risk of executing an innocent person.

I recently read John Grisham's The Confession, which is set in the run-up to execution of a man in Texas for a murder he didn't commit. he was bullied and tricked into confession got the crime he didn't do: meanwhile the real killer has a terminal illness and decides to come clean and stop the wrong man being killed.

It's a very good book, and I was aware that many innocent people have been executed in the USA (and indeed in Texas). But until reading this recent report I hadn't really appreciated the scale of the slaughter of innocents. Read it and weep. Or if you're a US citizen, complain to your Congressman or state Governor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home