Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, March 05, 2012

I'm not sure we're really giving this our best shot

While locating the clip of the British Engelbert Humperdinck for my last post, I discovered that he will be representing the UK in the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest. At 76, he will be the oldest competitor ever. Scary. I mean, scary that the organisers of Britain's entry couldn't find anyone of the same generation as the bulk of the audience and voters.

A couple of weeks ago I was writing programme notes for Edinburgh Symphony Orchestra, and found the wonderful piece of trivia that Dag Wiren, whose
Serenade For Strings we were playing, wrote Sweden's 1965 Eurovision entry. Here it is:



On the whole I think Dag would have been well advised to stick with the day job, given that he could come up with stuff like this:



What's that you say? Who won the 1965 Eurovision? Well, that was the year the competition was dragged biting and scratching into the pop era by this Serge Gainsbourg song. (Embedding disabled.) I must regretfully point out that a 76-year-old lounge singers is perilously close to the kind of entry that France Gall's wax doll shovelled aside. I dare say he can still sing, but win?

1 Comments:

At 05 March, 2012 18:59, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Nice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home