Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, March 26, 2012

Cover My World

Long-term followers of this blog will know that I am a sucker for unlikely cover versions, whether that be a Malagasy cover of an Okinawan hit or a recording of the 44 violin duos by Bela Bartok played on two nyckelharpas.

So when I was looking at Youtube clips of tracks from
The Power and the Glory, fifth album by 1970s prog rockers Gentle Giant, I was first taken aback and then fascinated by the cover versiion of Aspirations I spotted in the sidebar, performed by Esther Ofarim. Yes, that Esther Ofarim. Here it is.



Of course it isn't as good as the original: but then Gentle Giant, like Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, did not write the kind of music that lends itself to cover versions. (Though there's this marvel, I admit...) Plus the clip seems to cut off before the end. Anyway, I'm impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home