Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No...it disnae hae a trunk.....

That last post reminded me of the sketch at 40:46 here.

And then of course I had to post this one. The Ballater toyshop sketch (beginning at 8:06) is a particular favourite in our family, the toyshop in question being close to our Ballater flat.

Don't worry: when I first moved to Scotland I had trouble with the accent too.... Though of course the difficult words such as "futret" are spelled out.

2 Comments:

At 25 January, 2012 18:40, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Is that really English? I can only understand a few words here and there.

 
At 26 January, 2012 02:04, Blogger Rob said...

It's what's known as "the Doric" and is the dialect of rural Aberdeenshire. While Stephen Robertson in the sketch has it cranked up to 11, there are plenty of folk in Ballater who sound not much different. I certainly struggled when I first heard Scotland the What? and needed help. I felt my integration as an English incomer was probably complete when I found myself providing the subtitling for English visitors when we went to see STW live in Stirling.

Of course, other kinds of Scots accent can be fairly impenetrable: Glaswegians famously so, but I think folk had trouble with the Leith accents in "Trainspotting" too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home