Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What I Tell You Three Times Is Surely Pretty Damned Easy

OK, so entries have stopped arriving for the 25 First Lines quiz despite my post of hints.

So here's the deal. This post will be the final set of extra clues. After this, if nobody makes any more guesses I'll post the answers. What I'll do here is provide three further levels of hint:

1) I'll specify which of my clues from last time goes with which unguessed song

2) I'll give more of the lyrics to each song

3) I'll give a crossword-type word/letter count for each of the titles


OK, here we go.

Number 5 (3,3,7,2,4)

This is the one by the Canadian national treasure.

It's so nice to meet an old friend and pass the time of day
And talk about the home town a million miles away
Is the ice still on the river, are the old folks still the same
And by the way, did she mention my name
Did she mention my name just in passing
And when the morning came, do you remember if she dropped a name or two
Is the home team still on fire, do they still win all the games
And by the way,......


Number 9 (6,6)

The classic British folk-rock track I thought Phil would get quickly.

The young man rose his pretty face,
All for to feel the salty spray.
When storms are mustering they say
I'll come and take you all away.

I am a traveller by trade,
I only have what I have made.
A fortune teller too they say,
And I can take you all away.


Number 11 (6,2,4)

"One from a classic album by a great British band. It was the next but one album that would move them from stardom to superstardom, though."

Getting crazy on the waltzers but it's the life that I choose.
Sing about the sixblade, sing about the switchback and a torture tattoo.
And I been riding on a ghost train where the cars they scream and slam
And I don't know where I'll be tonight, but I'd always tell you where I am.

In a screaming ring of faces I seen her standing in the light;
She had a ticket for the races: just like me, she was a victim of the night.
I put a hand upon the lever, said "Let it rock and let it roll"
I had the one arm bandit fever, there was an arrow through my heart and my soul.


Number 13 (3,4,2,3,4)

"A collaboration by two giants of progressive rock, one of whom was once memorably described by a Capital Radio DJ as having the biggest electricity bill in the EU. This track probably racked up a few kWh for him."

You ask me where to begin? - Am I so lost in my sin?
You ask me where did I fall? - I'll say I can't tell you when.
But if my spirit is lost, how will I find what is near?
Don't question - I'm not alone.....

Number 14 (7,7)

This is the obscure one: "The title track from a 1970s album by a British folk-rock group one of whose members was a member of a family famous for confectionery (and he really was, it wasn't just a coincidence of names)."

They could see there was something special about the man in white,
The ladies there were careful to treat him right.
Everyone was running around at his beck and call,
But when they handed him the menu, it was everyone against the wall


Number 15 (7,5)

This is the one Lisa thought she had the artist of. "An American singer-songwriter, also with a long career, whose songs inspired a book of science fiction stories (which I own but haven't yet read). Her best-known song is very well-known indeed, and came right at the start of her career (which must be frustrating)."

Do me a favor, kid,
Tell me what is was I did,
To make you wanna live without me?
You're not being fair,
Let down your hair,
Make it clear why you doubt me.
Don't really know
What you think I done, or why.
But all you gotta do is tell me.
I'll apologize.
And I don't want anything much if you'll just....


Number 17 (4,2,4)

This is one of the songs by a female artist famous for part of her anatomy. And both the song, and the anatomy, are very well-known indeed.

Tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen;
pour myself a cup of ambition,
and yawn, and stretch, and try to come to life.
Jump in the shower, and the blood starts pumping;
out on the street, the traffic starts jumping,
with folks like me on the job.......


Number 18 (5,4,8,2,3,9)

A track by a British heavy metal band

Honey it's getting close to midnight
And all the myths are still in town
True love and lipstick on your linen
Bite the pillow, make no sound
If there's some living to be done
Before your life becomes your tomb
You'd better know I'm the one
Unchain your back door, invite me around


Number 19 (8)

This is the one by the British band probably best summed up as "glam metal".

Oh lord, I'm so bored
Living on my own
You're devilish and dirty
They say you're pushing thirty
Well pushing thirty stone

Oh Christ, I'm enticed
I want you in my sack
You're potty-mouthed and brassy
You're anything but classy
I've just got to get you back

It's been a while since I've seen that smile
But the old magic's still there.....


Number 21 (3,2,5)

The other female singer famous for a bit of her anatomy (though not such a byword as the other lady).

Clever girl
Think you are but you think too much
Shut down turn around
Don't look that way any more

Clever girl
Think you know but you don't know much
Try to make a move
Go to a different door

You know it's all in your head
You better put that business to bed
By your fair hands of design you met with
The monster in your mind


Number 22 (4,8)

"A British singer-songwriter who seems to have been around for ever. This was one of his comparatively few songs to make it into the charts, sufficiently at least to get some airplay."

It was late in December, the sky turned to snow
All round the day was going down slow
Night like a river beginning to flow
I felt the beat of my mind go
Drifting into.....


Number 23 (9,4,6)

A song by a male singer who had a big hit duetting with the singer of Number 21.

You said I was northern scum
I was wounded baby
That's fighting talk where I'm from
And I'm not moving baby
Spent my life dancing with shadows in strobe lights
It's alright, everything mellows in sunlight

And now London's got its gimmicks
And New York's had its minute....


Number 24 (9)

"One hit by a foreign duo who might have fitted effortlessly into the Daz Sampson video." Because of how they dressed in their early days, perhaps? The song is in English, though the title is not:

What I thought wasn't mine
In the light wasn't one of a kind,
A precious pearl
When I wanted to cry I couldn't,
'Cos I wasn't allowed


And that, said Rob, is that.

3 Comments:

At 15 November, 2011 13:44, Blogger Persephone said...

#5. Okay, it's Gordon Lightfoot's "Did She Mention My Name?" which is an okay song but not one of my favourites, even by him. (My personal favourite Lightfoot song is "Summer Side of Life".) I certainly can't remember the tune to the verses, and barely remember the tune to the chorus.

#17 is "Nine to Five" by Dolly Parton, a song I didn't recognise until we got to the "cup of ambition" part.

#22 is "Time Passages" by Al Stewart which explains why it seemed familiar. Again, not one of my favourites by him, although a pleasant enough ditty.

 
At 15 November, 2011 22:48, Blogger Rob said...

Well done! I'll post videos etc under the original post to keep them together.

My favourite Lightfoot is "Apology", though I'm very fond of "Approaching Lavender" too. And my favourite Al Stewart is "Flying Sorcery".

 
At 16 November, 2011 15:00, Blogger Persephone said...

"Sand in Your Shoes" and "Warren Harding" are among my AS favourites also -- "Red Toupee". "Flying Sorcery" is a fine song, too. "Time Passages" was just way too much like "Year of the Cat"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home