Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The past is a foreign station

A friend of mine posted a Facebook link to this site of Ghost Station Tube Maps. I was familiar witht he idea of ghost stations: the ones that closed long ago and now can just be glimpsed in the wash of light from the carriages as you pass through them. This site provides a comprehensive list and a lot of additional information about the stations. (You may need a magnifying glass or some jiggery-pokery to enlarge the images.) What struck me, though was how many have closed since I lived in London. Take Aldwych, for example, on the Piccadilly Line. this was at the end of a spur from Holborn, the station I used every day when I commuted by tube and pretty often when I didn't, as it was only a hundred yards or so from my work. I remember going on a training course for something or other that was based at Aldwych, so I spent a few days actually using the Aldwych shuttle. And now it;s gone. However, I discover from the tiny print that the Kinks made a video there. For a song I didn't even know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home