Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, August 12, 2011

And they had fun, fun, fun till their Daddy took the P-birds away

The Edinburgh Festival(s) is(are) upon us, and as usual I'm going to lots of things in the official festival and the Book Festival, though this year not much in the Fringe. So over the next few weeks I shall be posting reports that will make me look terribly erudite and cultured and all that.

So it seems only fitting that I should have been to the cinema this week (with wife and son) to see the definitely lowbrow, but immensely enjoyable, Mr Popper's Penguins. I've always been resistant to Jim Carrey in manic mode (he just about gets away with it in The Mask) though I enjoyed him in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'd loved the trailer for MPP and hoped Carrey wasn't going to be too over the top: and he wasn't. The film has some lovely touches, like a PA who unconsciously keeps using words that begin with the letter "P" (it's funny when she does it, really). And the mixing of live and CGI penguins is seamlessly done.



Go and see it. You won't regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home