Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, June 10, 2011

Proud Dad time

Last night I attended the end of year concert at Stevenson College (a Further Education college in Edinburgh where my son Ruairidh is studying on the pop music course). The general standard was very high, but one or two items especially took my fancy. One was Rhoda Welsh (soprano) singing three of Rodrigo's Madrigals of Love, partly because Rhoda is an extraordinary singer and partly because the pieces themselves are awesome (and I'd never heard them before). Another was the Frazer Mitchell Trio, and here I must declare an interest because my son is their drummer. They did Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo a la Turk with great style as well as brilliant accuracy: I saw the Brubeck Quartet at the height of their fame, and the FMT did them proud. Ruairidh (accoutred in his jazz hat) has an appropriately cool and impassive air, though Joe Morello always gave the impression he was listening to his drum kit like a bird listening for a worm. No video footage from the concert, but here they are doing BRAT from a few weeks ago in college.



That's my boy....

And here is Victoria de los Angeles doing my favourite of the Rodrigo songs (in ts full orchestral version).

1 Comments:

At 16 June, 2011 16:17, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

BRAT sounds so challenging for the pianist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home