Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, April 09, 2011

My Name Is Khan, and I am not a Banjoist

Hilary and I have just been booking for things in the Edinburgh International festival (the "official" festival), which this year has an "East Meets West" theme. So as well as operas by Rossini and Richard Strauss (both at least four hours - sometimes one suffers for the sake of art, darlings) we're going to a performance by the Yogyakarta Royal Court gamelan. I'm going to a few lunchtime concerts as I'll be able to get time off whereas Hilary wouldn't (the T'ang Quartet playing Aulis Sallinen, Melvyn Tan playing Scarlatti and John Cage). One that Hilary probably would have come to had she not been working is a sarod recital by Amjad Ali Khan. The sarod is usually described as an Indian lute, but I prefer to think of it as a clasiical Indian banjo. Anyway, AAK is is greatest exponent and a giant of Indian music, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him play. (Again though we have a visit from a Muslim musician, something plenty of people would dearly love to see banned as I pointed out here.)

I must congratulate Hilary though: a couple of days ago she managed to get us two of the last four remaining tickets in the Usher Hall for Mahler 2. Things like that remind me why I married her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home