Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Two Men, One Woman, and a Punctuation Mark

Oh, let's cheer up a bit with some more Peter Paul & Mary clips. Here's one of my favourites:



Fantastic brass arrangement. And I love the way at 1:39 we have two harmony vocal lines and the melody has vanished completely!

Anyone who knows anything of my musical tastes will know that I am a sucker for bizarre cover versions. OK, so here are PP&M singing "I Have A Song To Sing, O" from The Yeoman of the Guard by Gilbert & Sullivan (the baton passes from one ampersand to another, so to speak). Not one for G&S purists but a noble effort neatly arranged, and if it created a new fanbase for G&S that can't be bad.



From the same concert, here they are doing Laura Nyro's "And When I Die". I've never greatly cared for Nyro's stuff but I'll gladly make an exception for this.



Here they are from 1965, the year I first saw them.



And here's one they did the second time I saw them. As they were doing songs from the newly-released Album 1700 that must have been 1967 or very early 1968.
(And yes, I know this isn't exactly a song to lift the spirits, but how could I leave it out?)



I make no apologies for posting this next clip again: a truly great song, by Paul this time. And the Youtube comments make interesting reading: I knew the song had been one of the most-requested pieces of wedding music in the USA a few years back, but it's lovely to know it's still doing the business.



And finally, one from a TV programme entitled The Holiday Concert. As this particular song is for Hanukkah rather than Christmas I can forgive the title, especially as the performance is so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home