Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, January 03, 2011

Swans lucky and unlucky

Somehow this seems a very British kind of news item.

I had to laugh at the bloke from the SSPCA though. "It will have crash landed and wouldn't have realised it was on train tracks because of the snow." Erm, how about it wouldn't have realised it was on train tracks because it was a swan?

Here is a less lucky (if more musical) swan:



(Cignus ustus cantat)

Olim lacus colueram,
olim pulcher extiteram,
dum cignus ego fueram.

Miser, miser!
modo niger
et ustus fortiter!

Girat, regirat garcifer;
me rogus urit fortiter;
propinat me nunc dapifer,

Miser, miser!
modo niger
et ustus fortiter!

Nunc in scutella iaceo,
et volitare nequeo,
dentes frendentes video:

Miser, miser!
modo niger
et ustus fortiter!

(A Roast Swan Sings)


Once I lived on lakes,
once I looked beautiful
when I was a swan.

Misery me!
Now I am black
and done to a turn!

The servant is turning me on the spit;
I am burning fiercely on the pyre:
the steward now serves me up.

Misery me!
Now I am black
and done to a turn!

Now I lie on a plate,
and can no longer fly,

I see bared teeth.

Misery me!
Now I am black
and done to a turn!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home