Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's a tough job, but somebody has to stop doing it.

In other news, I lost my job on Monday.

More precisely, I was informed by Lloyds Banking Group that I was at risk of redundancy having been unsuccessful in my application to keep my existing job. Not a big surprise, as around two-thirds of the permanent staff in our department were slated for redundancy. I hadn't applied for voluntary severance as my preference was to keep on working, but if the alternative is being redeployed into a non-IT job somewhere in Edinburgh (and I dare say the bank would try very hard to do that) I think taking the money and running - which is still an option - looks more attractive. At least I';m old enough to draw my pension immediately. At least I have enough service to get a reasonable pension. And there is still contract IT work to be had in Edinburgh (which will be a new experience for me).

The good news is that probably I won't be let go immediately, as the project I'm mainly working on is to do with merging the Lloyds TSB and HBOS IT systems and is due to finish in the third quarter of this year. At least, a number of us working on the same project and now destined for the exit have found that unlike some of our colleagues we have been given no definite exit date. Room for (very) cautious optimism there, especially as a stay of execution beyond August would put another year's service on my pension and my redundancy payment. Plus the project is likely to involve substantial quantities of weekend work over the summer, which is pretty well paid (otherwise nobody would do it). So while I may not laugh all the way to the bank, I can probably laugh all the way from it.

Over the next week or so there will be a lot of calculation of financial impacts to be done, and life will certainly look different soon, but probably not much worse. So much counting of blessings, and considering what I want to do with the rest if my life.

My heart goes out to those of my impacted colleagues who have only a few years' service; or who are too young to draw their pension straight away; who have young families; or worst of all who have spouses similarly afflicted. Also to those who for whatever reason truly believed the axe wouldn't fall on them. Shit really does happen: and this is what it looks like.

Alors, continuons.

1 Comments:

At 13 January, 2011 21:36, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry about that - but at least you have a pension. Hope things work out (and the job lasts until September)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home