Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Hooray (for now)



The campaign to keep the last flying Vulcan bomber in the air looks to have been successful.

I grew up with Vulcans. Not only was my first stay at an RAF camp with the Air Training Corps at RAF Scampton, home of 617 Squadron ("The Dambusters") who flew Vulcans, but in my teenage years I lived only four or five miles from the test facility at Woodford in Cheshire where there was constant traffic of Vulcans and Nimrods undergoing servicing and checks. I can say from first-hand experience that Vulcans are (a) extremely loud and (b) sound unlike any other aircraft I've ever heard. So I should be sorry to have them all consigned to static displays in museums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home