Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, September 19, 2010

? thinking they were What

And this xkcd cartoon amused me because it stirred a memory. I don't know how widespread the backward-writing thing is in the States, but it's very unusual in the UK. Which is why the instance I encountered in the mid-sixties in Cheshire, near to where I lived (specifically in a place called Hawk Green just outside Marple) made such an impression on me. There was a church of some kind there, and outside it, on the road, was written

SCHOOL
SUNDAY
SLOW

I thought it hilarious then as even in my teens I realised that people coming along the road (I was generally on a bicycle when I passed the sign) would see all three words together and take them in as a single picture.

Does anyone have other good examples? Especially from Britain?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home