Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, May 07, 2010

Vote vole

In the run-up to an election every household gets a lot of junk mail from candidates, and ours has been no exception. We've probably escaped the worst excesses because there are only five candidates in our constituency: it must be far worse where there are a dozen or so.

My normal procedure is to bin the ones that aren't in envelopes (usually without reading them). Where they come in envelopes I open them up so I can separate the envelope before recycling, but I do have a quick look to make sure it is electoral junk first. This led a couple of days ago to a wonderful moment as I worked my way through three or four such envelopes. I opened them up, read the slogans, binned the contents. Then I opened one and read the first line

Building a safer future for

and was about to bin it when I read the second

water voles

A perfectly timed communication from the People's Trust for Endangered Species which gave us all a laugh. As far as I can tell PTES didn't set out to mimic the style of an election blurb - that's just how it appeared as it came out of the envelope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home