Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, February 05, 2010

Well, I'm back

Sorry about the blogging hiatus. Last weekend I went down to Portland (Dorset) to stay with my brother and sister-in-law. Martin is a pretty sick chap these days: he has a kind of hereditary emphysema called Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. He's just been in hospital because they thought he had a blood clot on his lung. He hadn't, though treating him for one seemed to fix whatever it was (and the whole business was unusual enough that he may well end up as Patient A in a medical journal some time). Anyway, he's home now and feeling pretty positive about things: not bad for someone largely bedridden, on oxygen 24x7, and with quite bad arthritis in his hands as well. Here he is, with his dog Sam:


I came back via Kenilworth, where I stayed with friends I hadn't seen for many years and met some other friends I hadn't seen for even longer. The as soon as I got home it was off again for work, with a meeting at Tower Bridge in London so up fairly early to get a flight. Which would have been OK if my nicely timed (1715) British Airways flight back hadn't been cancelled. (It seems the inbound aircraft had had to divert from Manchester owing to bad weather, hence hadn't ever got to Heathrow. I ended up on a British Midland flight at 2100. On the plus side the replcement flight was business class, so after bussing across the airfield from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1 (and boy was I glad I hadn't had any checked bags) I ended up in the British Midland Diamond Club lounge drinking free gins & tonics with a colleague I met there. I had to miss my orchestra rehearsal (which meant I had to make loads of phone calls as I normally lock up the hall) but hey, free booze.

After all that I was too tired last night to blog (I fell asleep watching a programme about the history of chemistry) but here I am now. Not, perhaps, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but awake.

What's that? You want more of Sam? OK.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home