Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Howard Zinn 1922 - 2010

I see Howard Zinn has died, He was best known for his A People's History of the United States, though latterly in the USA I would guess that The People Speak on the History Channel has raised his profile rather. (Heck, with that cast it would raise his profile over here!) Here are a bunch of links to tributes.

I was all set to say that my favourite right-wing nutjob Benjamin "C--t" Kerstein (see here for explanation) had the dubious distinction of writing the only obituary which did a hatchet-job on Howard Zinn. Certainly his is the only one I've read which compares A People's History to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. (Can anyone work out in what way they are supposed to be similar? Buggered if I know.) Not that I was surprised by that: Kerstein, never the most original of thinkers (except when it comes to the Second Law of Thermodynamics), used the same comparison in his lazy review of the book on amazon.com. In that instance, BCK only gets one line into the "review" before comparing the book to Mein Kampf, though apparently Zinn's failing was that he was a totalitarian communist. Who knew? and who would ever find out from Kerstein's confused scribblings?

As I said, I was all set to flag BCK as uniquely tasteless. But David Horowitz is clearly on the same wavelength.

Let's leave Benjamin to his dribblings, and Howard to his doughnuts (photograph by Viggo Mortensen from HZ's Facebook wall):



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home