Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Glasgow Film Festival 2010

I've been to a few things in the GFF this year. Not as many as I intended, as one (Corso: The Last Beat) was cancelled, and two (Whip It and Topp Twins) I had to miss through attending my brother's funeral. Still, I got to be one of the first people in Britain to see Micmacs, the new film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, Delicatessen). It's a surreal fable featuring Bazil, whose father is blown up by a landmine and in whose own head is lodged a bullet, courtesy of a stray shot during a gangland shoot-out. Left homeless and jobless after his shooting, he takes a bizarre revenge (with the help of a collection of homeless misfits) on the heads of the arms companies which made the bullet and the landmine. very funny, with great performances from Dany Boon as Bazil and also from Julie Ferrier as a contortionist.



Then I saw The Boys - the Sherman Brothers' Story. I must say that while I knew a lot of their songs I hadn't realised quite how much stuff they were responsible for.



(I know, it makes me feel so old.....)



And the best of all (or at least a firm Saunders family favourite):



We toured Neuschwanstein singing that one.... Best bit is Anna Quayle's facial expression just after just being missed by the falling spike.

I also went through last Sunday with Ruairidh to see an interview with James Earl Jones. I'll do a separate post on that though.

2 Comments:

At 01 March, 2010 17:00, Blogger Persephone said...

Younger daughter is obsessed with The Slipper and the Rose, which also featured the Sherman brothers' songs and quite the cast. I'm rather fond of it myself.

 
At 03 March, 2010 05:34, Blogger Rob said...

I went to see that one with a soppily-inclined girlfriend when it was in the cinemas. I enjoyed it, though I can't say the songs have stayed with me any more than the girlfriend did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home