Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

25 First Lines (once again)

I haven't done one of these for a while. Here are the first lines of 25 songs randomly plucked from my record collection (where the first line does not contain the title). You have to guess the artist and the song title. Post your guesses in the comments box. As songs are correctly guessed I will update the post itself with the answers. If some defy your guesswork for too long I may give hints.

Here we go:

1. My father is a doctor, he’s a family man

2. Look at them yo-yos: that’s the way you do it
Dire Straits: Money For Nothing (guessed by Persephone)

3. I’ve been caught in a trap I set for myself

4. Turn around, don’t whisper out my name

5. Let me tell you ‘bout the Manfreds

6. See the girl with cymbals on her fingers, entering through the door
The Hollies: Stop Stop Stop (guessed by Persephone)

7. I thought you had passed, but you caught me at last

8. Life goes on day after day
Gerry & the Pacemakers: Ferry Cross the Mersey (guessed by Lisa)

9. Oh the time will come up when the winds will stop

10. Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
Pink Floyd: Pigs (Three Different Ones) (guessed by Phil)

11. Traffic’s wild tonight

12. As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent
David Bowie: Diamond Dogs (guessed by Phil)

13. You’re so hot, teasing me
Abba: Does Your Mother Know? (guessed by Lisa)

14. Well no one told ne about her
The Zombies: She's Not There (guessed by Persephone)

15. Ooh, my little pretty one, pretty one
The Knack: My Sharona (guessed by Persephone)

16. You went away and left me long ago
I hear You Knocking (guessed by Persephone though she couldn't remember the artist)

17. Her name was Mia from North Korea

18. A place where nobody dared to go

19. Queen Vicky used to sit upon her magic throne

20. Zephyr in the sky at night I wonder

21. I’m a little pimp with my hair gassed back
Frank Zappa (and Captain Beefheart) : Willie the Pimp (guessed by Phil)

22. Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you
The Beatles: All My Loving (guessed by Persephone)

23. I was lying in my bed, pull the silken sheets up tight
Bonzo Dog Band: Can Blue Men Sing The Whites? (guessed by Phil)

24. It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished ‘em well
Chuck Berry: You Never Can Tell (guessed by Phil)

25. I could have been a sailor, could have been a cook
Nick Drake: One Of These Things First (guessed by Phil)

Except for #19 which is rather obscure, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Good luck.

6 Comments:

At 16 February, 2010 04:44, Blogger Persephone said...

Damn. I feel I should know #1, but can't place it.
My guesses:
#2 Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
#6 Stop! Stop! Stop! - The Hollies (just guessing)
#14 She's Not There - The Zombies (may have the group wrong there)
#15 My Sharona - The Knack
#16 I Hear You Knockin' - can't remember the artist, but I can sing the whole damn thing; does that count?
#22 All My Lovin' - The Beatles
#24 I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock 'n' Roll - uh, Nick the-guy-who-did-Cruel-To-Be-Kind? (Just guessing the song and artist; could you tell?)
Numbers 9, 11, 18, and 23 are eluding me as well; I'll probably remember them at some inopportune moment.

 
At 16 February, 2010 09:12, Anonymous Phil said...

#12 - David Bowie, Diamond Dogs
#21 - Frank Zappa, Hot Rats
#23 - Bonzo Dog Band, Can blue men sing the whites?
#24 - Chuck Berry, You never can tell
#25 - Nick Drake, One of these things first

Is #10 Pigs (Pink Floyd)?

And I'm sure I know numbers 8, 18 and 20... Better give someone else a chance, though.

 
At 16 February, 2010 15:26, Anonymous Phil said...

Drat. Not a huge Zappa fan. Is it called "Willie the Pimp"?

 
At 16 February, 2010 16:50, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

13 - Abba - does your mother know that you're out?

blimey am I STILL remembering ABBA tracks from my youth?!

 
At 16 February, 2010 16:54, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

oooh, 8 --- I THINK that this is Gerry and the pacemakers 'ferry cross the mersey, but for some reason I seem to think it has the word even in between those two phrases (life goes on, even day after day) but I have no idea why I think that... does this mean i have the wrong song or am remembering the wrong lyrics?!

 
At 17 February, 2010 01:19, Blogger Rob said...

Lisa - right song, just an extra word. I'll post the video for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home