Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Celtic Connections 2010: Beth Nielsen Chapman, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 25 January

This was the third time (maybe the fourth) I'd seen Beth, so I knew I was going to enjoy the concert. It began very well, with a set from Charlie Dore and the Hula Valley Orchestra. They played a kind of tuneful ballad-laden folk-rock not far removed from that of BNC herself. Then came Beth, instantly getting fankled up in guitar straps and cables and establishing a very rapid bond with the audience as she sorted herself out. She has a new album out (Back To Love) which was released on the day of the concert and which BBC Radio 2 had made record of the week. In the course of the evening she did a lot of the songs from it, but still found time for some of the old favourites. So we had Sand and Water (well, duh), Happy Girl, This Kiss, All I Have, Shake My Soul and Emily. Her band were excellent, and supplemented for some numbers by Phil Cunningham on accordion and whistle. I suspect Beth is in love with Glasgow. I am certain that Glasgow is in love with Beth Nielsen Chapman.

BTW, the new album would seem to be excellent. I have all her albums of original songs but had not bothered with the ones of hymns and other religious music. This one is a definite return to her form of theouTou Hold The Key" and "Sand and Water" era.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home