Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Cigarettes and Alcohol

I remember my mother once telling me sniffily that classical musicians didn't have rock'n'roll lifestyle issues with drugs etc. Aye, right, as I said then. OK, you don't get them pictured in the tabloids snorting cocaine off supermodels (though I do have a photograph from my 18th birthday celebration of the leader of a renowned British string quartet with two blonde teenage babes in his lap....). Still, the stresses of touring are similar, and as this story shows, its effects are similar too.

3 Comments:

At 05 June, 2009 17:05, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hmmm, you are a musician, are you not? Applicable to your quartet?

 
At 06 June, 2009 17:11, Anonymous Gert said...

The percussionist mentioned was my teacher who played for the BBC PO. Not only him but also his timpani, during a live broadcast. He was sacked by the orchestra and the ensuing IT was covered by the Guardian. Sadly, it wasn't long after that he killed himself

 
At 16 June, 2009 23:10, Blogger Rob said...

Ouch - in every sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home