Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, April 19, 2009

They Laughed When I Stood Up At The Microphone, But When I Started To Sing....! (*)

(* with thanks to John Caples for inspiring my title.)

While I was in Colorado I read in the papers that a performance on Britain's Got Talent of I Dreamed A Dream (from Les Miserables) had become one of the most-linked Youtube clips of all time, so naturally I had to investigate. Before I show you the clip, here is what Tanya Gold had to say about the programme in The Guardian on Friday.

Having watched the clip I'm inclined to agree with her: though in fairness to Amanda Holden one must point out that she followed up the "everyone was against you" comment with "I honestly think that we were all being very cynical, and I think that's the biggest wake-up call ever".

And here is a article from the Sunday Times in a similar vein.

Here, then, is the clip itself (embedding disabled). I don't even especially like Les Miserables, but I can entirely see why Susan Boyle, despite fitting nobody's preconception of what a singing star should look like, sang her way into show-business history. (And that's without even having won the competition yet.)

4 Comments:

At 19 April, 2009 14:08, Anonymous Gert said...

I'm sorry but I'm completely underwhelmed by the fuss. I can't see what's amazing about finding someone with a decent voice who doesn't look like she's been 'styled'. I would wager that every church in the country has someone with a decent voice who isn't a fashion follower. If there's any lesson or moral to the story it's how unreal, out-of-touch and unrepresentative "Reality" TV is.

I assume that people who think you can't be 'ugly' and have talent have never heard of the Rolling Stones. And anyone who hasn't heard of the Rolling Stones (can't say I'm a fan) doesn't really have any credibility when discussing music.

 
At 20 April, 2009 01:08, Blogger Rob said...

**If there's any lesson or moral to the story it's how unreal, out-of-touch and unrepresentative "Reality" TV is.**

I think that's exactly the point, Gert: that the people who judge reality TV shows, those who sit in the studio audiences, and those who watch at home are locked into a false set of values where nobody can possibly have talent unless he or she conforms to their expectations of what a "star" looks like. As you say, no Rolling Stones then, or Dylan, or Buddy Holly.

 
At 20 April, 2009 18:25, Blogger rajm said...

Or Piaf for a female equivalent. The 'looker' star mould is probably a little harder to break for women.

 
At 06 May, 2009 19:22, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yep Rob, between you and Gert you nailed it:

hat the people who judge reality TV shows, those who sit in the studio audiences, and those who watch at home are locked into a false set of values where nobody can possibly have talent unless he or she conforms to their expectations of what a "star" looks like.Oh yes: which is why I don't watch them and it has taken me til now to look at the clip...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home