Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, March 30, 2009

Canada - good things, bad things

I've been on something of a Canadian kick this week. On Facebook I befriended a cousin of mine I haven't seen in real life since 1970 and we've been swapping messages: me telling her about the state of the British banking system and my employers in particular, while she has been clueing me up on anime films, on which she is completing a thesis. One of clips she sent me was this one, which I have to admit is very impressive both visually and musically, though you won't gain much idea of the plot to come by watching it.



Before that, I had been reading Home From The Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean and enjoying it immensely. The Vinyl Cafe stories are based on a Canadian radio series and are based around the central characters of record shop proprietor Dave and his wife Morley. The blurbs on British editions all seem to compare the stories to Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, which is nearly right: they are actually very close in style to his 44 Scotland Street series. I shall certainly be reading the others.

And before any of that, we had the Canadian Minister of Multiculturalism and Immigration (is that not a wonderful title?) Jason Kenney banning George Galloway from Canada. It seems odd, to me at least, that Mr Kenney, who supports the People's Mujahideen of Iran, banned in Europe as a terrorist organisation, should ban George for his support of Hamas, apparently similarly banned in Canada despite being the legally-elected government of Gaza. George, meanwhile, seems to think it's his views on Afghanistan which are the problem. Personally I think the problem is that Kenney hasn't learned that the best way to generate instant publicity for someone is to ban them from entering the country.

Mind you, that isn't the only problem with Mr Kenney.

Time was when Americans labouring under the yoke of the Bush regime would look to Canada as a bastion of freedom over the border. I wonder if they still do that today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home