Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, March 02, 2009

Another one bites the dust

Philip Jose Farmer has died. As all the SF authors I came to love as a student die off, one by one, I start to feel my own mortality creeping up on me. Still, as PJF's best-known work (the Riverworld trilogy) dealt with a brilliantly-imagined afterlife perhaps that's not such a bad thing.

Things the Guardian obituary taught me:
1. that PJF wrote a story (The Jungle Rot Kid on the Nod) which was a Tarzan story as it might have been written by William Burroughs rather than Edgar Rice Burroughs.
2. that Jimi Hendrix first encountered the phrase "purple haze" in a PJF book.

2 Comments:

At 02 March, 2009 16:45, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Purple haze?
I read Riverworld a few times, still confused.

 
At 02 March, 2009 18:44, Blogger Pete said...

not read the thing in years!! I enjoyed the first one

 

Post a Comment

<< Home