Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Tell me about your childhood.....

By way of Cloud I was directed to a psychoanalytical tool for blogs, which derives a Myers-Briggs personality type indicator for the blog.

Before I run EKN through it, I should state that I have been evaluated twice using a Myers-Briggs questionnaire, About twenty years ago I came out as an INTJ ("Masterminds")

INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake... INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play... Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

while about five years ago I came out as an ENTJ ("Fieldmarshals")

ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshal and direct. This may be expressed with the charm and finesse of a world leader or with the insensitivity of a cult leader. The ENTJ requires little encouragement to make a plan. One ENTJ put it this way... "I make these little plans that really don't have any importance to anyone else, and then feel compelled to carry them out." While "compelled" may not describe ENTJs as a group, nevertheless the bent to plan creatively and to make those plans reality is a common theme for NJ types.

For all that I normally test as extravert rather than introvert, I can see slightly more of myself in the INTJ, though there's an element of truth in both. I am, for example, a pretty good committee chair, I believe.

OK, let's see how Eine Kleine Nachtmusik stacks up.

Apparently, like Cloud's own blog, EKN is an ISTP ("Crafters"). Hmm.

ISTPs excel at analyzing situations to reach the heart of a problem so that they can swiftly implement a functional repair, making them ideally suited to the field of engineering. Naturally quiet people, they are interested in understanding how systems operate, focusing on efficient operation and structure. They are open to new information and approaches. But contrary to their seemingly detached natures, ISTPs are often capable of humorously insightful observations about the world around them, and can be closet daredevils who gravitate toward fast-moving or risky hobbies (such as bungee jumping, hang gliding, racing, motorcycling, and parachuting), recreational sports (such as downhill skiing, paintball, ice hockey, and scuba diving), and careers (such as aviation and firefighting).

Engineering, check (Chartered Engineer, that's me). Humorously insightful observations, check (and better spelling than Wikipedia also). Closet daredevil? Not sure about that one.





As an IT worker for a bank, I suspect I'm closer to Chartered Accountant than to Lion-Tamer. I don't even have a lion-taming hat.

Now I'm thinking of the scene in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi where nerdy Surinder (Shah Rukh Khan) takes on a massive Sumo wrestler to win a trip to Japan to please his wife. I suppose that might be me, but then, romantic relationships are the INTJ's Achilles' heel.....

The moral: people are just plain complicated. FWIW, in many respects the description of an INTP fits me best. I definitely seem to be a Rational type anyway. Isaac Asimov was an INTJ and as he's one of my lifetime heroes (chemistry! science fiction! Gilbert & Sullivan! dreadful puns!) that will do for me.

1 Comments:

At 02 February, 2009 19:57, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Well, after that one perhaps I should think of changing careers to chartered financial accountant. Or and eater tamer. Not sure which.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home