Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, November 21, 2008

Matched and Dispatched

Just so you don't think I have a problem with emotional American songs, here are a couple of doses of genuine emotion: two real love songs. The first - The Wedding Song (There Is Love) by Paul Stookey (of Peter Paul and Mary) is among the most popular songs at American weddings; the second (Beth Nielsen Chapman's Sand and Water) is similarly popular at funerals. And I have loved them both from first hearing. The videos are rather anodyne, but the live footage of both songs on Youtube has lousy sound.



2 Comments:

At 21 November, 2008 18:29, Blogger Persephone said...

I first heard "Sand and Water" in an ER episode where a dying baby was removed from life support and taken outside for its final moments. Snerg. Sniffle.
Later, I got the album this is taken from. It's one of the few CDs recently that have a cohesive feel to them; the songs were all written around the death of Beth Nielsen Chapman's husband from brain cancer, I think it was. That's why the lyrics go: "All alone, I will raise this child" -- Chapman is referring to her young son.
If I remember correctly, Elton John was trying (understandably) to put a little distance between himself and the "Death of Diana" version of "Candle in the Wind" and so was playing this song instead at his concerts.

 
At 22 November, 2008 14:46, Blogger Rob said...

I have the album too (must listen to it again), as well as most of her other CDs (as far as I know, all the ones of original material). As you say, it has a cohesive feel to it, though she was writing songs about the fragility of life (Life Holds On) and the terminally ill (Emily) from the outset, or so it would appear. I've seen her in concert two or three times now, but not for a few years.

I didn't know Elton had been doing it, but then the man has excellent taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home