Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, November 08, 2008

In fair Drumchapel, where we lay our scene

For any Scot (or indeed any Brit) of a certain age, this is fabulous news.

I remember Stanley Baxter's Christmas specials being annual viewing highlights: latterly he restricted himself to appearing on stage in pantomime and in these high-budget TV spectaculars. His humour transcended national boundaries within Britain at least (not sure if he made the international leap the way Benny Hill did): my decidedly English parents adored him, while in Scotland he was (and still is) venerated as a comedy god. It will be wonderful to see extracts from some of the classic shows, as well as some new material.

Surely the defining Stanley Baxter sketch (or endless set of sketches) was Parliamo Glasgow, in which he treated Glaswegian dialect as though he were teaching a foreign language on the BBC. No Stanley Baxter show (including pantomimes), in Scotland at least, was complete without its dose of Parliamo Glasgow.

Enjoy.

PARLIAMO GLASGOW (the song, performed in all those pantos as an audience singalong with a big drop curtain showing the words). Altogether now:

Geeza punna burra furra murra,
Geez baura choclit furra wean,
Seeza tenna fags, huv yezonni tottie bags,
Tae pit ratotties in till agit hame
Pirrit oanaslate, ahl pye ye zeftar
Azzawa tae seera panti mime,
Anif yuzkin say ramorra
Orrabest an itznae borra
Yezkin parliamo Glasgow orratime!

OK, maybe that one doesn't transcend the national boundaries quite so much.....

2 Comments:

At 08 November, 2008 17:43, Blogger Persephone said...

I live in terror of someone speaking Glaswegian to me. Here's what I can make out of the singalong (how far wrong am I?):
Get a bun for your mother
Get a chocolate bar for your kid
Take ten cigarettes; have one of those tote bags
To put potatoes in until I get home
Put it on my bill; I'll pay you after
I want to see the pantomime
And if you can say ?
Of the best and it's not borrowed
You can speak Glaswegian all the time!

 
At 08 November, 2008 19:14, Blogger Rob said...

Give me a pound of butter for my mother
Give me a bar of chocolate for the child
Give me ten cigarettes; have you any carrier bags
To put my potatoes in until I get home?
Put in on my bill, I'll pay you later,
I'm away to see the pantomime,
And if you can say "Tomorrow"
"All the best" and "It's no bother"
You can speak Glaswegian all the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home