Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, October 24, 2008

Oh Mr Porter

I've been reading through back-numbers of Wagner News while on holiday (as you do). I came across a great article by Reginald E. Porter entitled Heroes and Villains in Der Ring des Nibelungen. Even better, I've found it online, along with several others (some of which I'd read). Two remarks before I post the link:

a) For Wagner enthusiasts, the articles aren't exactly spoofs, just examples of where literal-minded pernicketiness can take you. They are meant to be funny though.

b) For the rest of you - you won't have a clue what they're on about, but I hope the dogged following of ideas to their logical conclusion comes across. And hey, maybe you should give the Ring a shot.

Here's the site.

And for anyone wanting a painless intro to the Ring, here's an animated version of Das Rheingold (the first opera in the series), reduced to half an hour from the full 2 hours 40. It was broadcast in Britain about 12 years or so back in a series of opera animations, and my daughter still remembers watching it as a child. It's really well done, and serves as a reminder that whatever else the Ring is, it's a cracking good story.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

1 Comments:

At 24 October, 2008 14:28, Blogger Persephone said...

The Porter link reminds me of what one comes across on certain Doctor Who blogs. Or Harry Potter web sites...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home