Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Elementary, my dear Lehrer

Via the sidebar on Youtube while watching the Master Singers clip (see previous post), I found this animation of Tom Lehrer's "The Elements". This is a list of the periodic table (OK, OK, the first 102 elements thereof....pedants....) set to Sir Arthur Sullivan's music for "A Modern Major-General" from The Pirates of Penzance. The song itself is great fun (and do watch the other Lehrer clips on there, especially if he's new to you) but the animation makes it even funnier. You may need to slow it down or pause it (having made a note of the order the elements are presented in) to appreciate all the jokes.

Having done just that, I think the funniest are Silver and Scandium, though Iridium is rather cool and I liked Potassium.

For some reason when I first listened to the clip I thought I heard "Chromium" twice, but when I checked one of them was "Bromine".

6 Comments:

At 01 October, 2008 16:48, Blogger Persephone said...

Any excuse to listen to Tom Lehrer! This person must have spent hours getting this together! A very gifted maker of Doctor Who fanvids at YouTube sent me a very clever video she'd made for her sister (by way of a thank-you for some help I'd given her). It features the Doctor's severed hand and one of my very favourite Tom Lehrer songs. I'd share it, but I think it's meant to be private.

 
At 03 October, 2008 16:57, Blogger Rob said...

I'm very fond of that song too, though my favourite has to be "The Masochism Tango".

 
At 24 April, 2013 08:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This paragraph is in fact a fastidious one it assists new web people,
who are wishing in favor of blogging.

My web site - förvirring

 
At 26 April, 2013 03:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog on and while the writing looks good, I believe
that your page might be having a couple browser compatibility troubles.
If I view it in Firefox, it loads properly, but if I use Chrome, it comes up seeming overlapped and off-kilter.
I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up, that's all.

Here is my web blog :: tarjetas postales

 
At 27 April, 2013 04:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work, pleased to have stumbled on this blog on blogs list.
This is the type of knowledge that should be shared around
the web. You should seriously think about putting
up more things like this on web 2.0 list. Shame on the search engines for not setting this blog higher.

If you're interested, please come and pay a visit to my web site. Kudos

Feel free to visit my homepage - 757

 
At 09 December, 2015 06:24, Blogger John said...

ugg boots on sale
uggs on sale
ugg boots
ray-ban sunglasses
coach outlet
hollister jeans
true religion jeans
ugg boots
coach outlet online
ugg outlet
mont blanc pens
jordan concords
uggs outlet
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
swarovski jewelry
canada goose jackets
christian louboutin outlet
air max 90
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
beats by dre
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses wholesale
true religion outlet
polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet online
toms shoes
kate spade handbags
20151209yuanyuan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home