Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, August 02, 2008

A taste of the Caribbean in Edinburgh

Went here last night for dinner with the family plus Hilary's mother. It was an early birthday dinner for me as I'm on call this weekend so don't want to be committing myself to a night out that I might have to miss.

I'd been looking ay Coyaba whenver I passed and thinking it looked fun, and I can announce that we all thought it was really good. very laid back (not a place to eat if you want a hurried meal) but a great atmosphere, friendly service and simply amazing food. I had ackee and saltfish followed by curried goat (fairly spicy but not as hot as Hilary's jerk chicken), then a piece of their marvellous rum and raisin cake. We'd wondered how much choice Vanessa would get as a vegetarian, but she was fine: and she was in heaven to discover that they sold all kinds of strange soft drinks she hadn't had since she was in Malaysia. (She asked about a kind of root beer and was told that they kept cases of the stuff because the manager loved it.)

And it wasn't expensive either. We'll definitely be going back. Even my mother-in-law, who isn't normally much into spicy food, thought it was wonderful.

3 Comments:

At 02 August, 2008 15:33, Blogger Persephone said...

Happy birthday, Rob! Hope you don't have to spend it working...

 
At 02 August, 2008 23:00, Blogger Rob said...

Thank you. As I type we move into my birthday (Sunday). No work required of me on Saturday at least.

 
At 05 August, 2008 20:57, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Happy belated Birthday! Glad you had an enjoyable meal, though most of your nights out sound like fun. Perhaps you don't write of the disasters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home