Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, August 08, 2008

One Day In The Death of Alexander Solzhenitsyn

On my birthday Alexander Solzhenitsyn died. I've never understood the hero-worship he received in some quarters. I read One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich which I thought one of the worst-written books I'd ever ploughed through, though I had a shot at The Gulag Archipelago a little while later and found that both interesting and well-crafted. But Jings! the guy could whinge at Olympic level even if his writing was dodgy. And while I hadn't paid him much attention since we got shot of him back to Russia, other than to note that he still hadn't stopped complaining (Q: How do you tell which plane Solzhenitsyn is on? A: It keeps on whining after the engines are turned off) I see from Wikipedia that he wrote a delightful little tome blaming the Russian Revolution (and remember, kids, that was ALL BAD) on the Jews.

Even his Nobel prize for literature (and there must be a strong suspicion of political influence in that award) was soiled by his vendetta against fellow-laureate Mikhail Sholokov.

I'm sorry he's dead - he was a character, at least - but I shan't miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home