Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Edinburgh Film Festival Thursday 26 June - Man On Wire

The European premiere, this, of a documentary about Philippe Petit: specifically about his high wire walk between the two towers of the World Trade Center in New York on 7 August 1974. It's coming out on general release soon, and all I'll say is WOW. I was totally gripped by the story. Funded by the BBC as part of their Storyville documentary strand, it's a mixture of archive footage and dramatised re-enactment, but very well blended together.

The screening was attended by both the director (James Marsh) and by Petit himself, who took part in a Q & A session afterwards. From this I doscovered that two of the reels had been shown in the wrong order, so what I'd taken to be an odd kind of flashback was simlay a cock-up. But the film still worked, which says something. Oh, and Sean Connery was in the audience, and rated it one of the three best films he'd ever seen (nope, wouldn't say what the others were).

Seriously, you have got to see this. Here are some pictures for you to be going on with:






I just got Petit's book out of the library, which also looks really good.

1 Comments:

At 21 July, 2008 13:35, Blogger Chip said...

I plan to see this film when it comes out, but I'm not sure how well I'll do. I have a fear of heights and just these photos make me shudder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home